Friday, August 31, 2007

Did You Know How Frustrating It Is To Transition to Public Schools?

Did you know how frustrating it is to transition to public schools?

After only two days and now that my son has attended every class (they are on block scheduling), gotten his supply list(now that the stores are out of everything), and his information packets, I was feeling the tension and frustration of the transition.

Going from being in charge of and having to arrange every minute detail to knowing almost nothing that is going on is very unsettling. I am not sure of some of the procedures, am not keen on some of the policies, have to sign permission for things I am not sure I want to give permission for. When asking for information I have been a)unable to get through to the school on its phone line, b)cannot access the principal, c) emailed said principal with no response as of yet, d) was condescended to by the receptionist at the desk.

The issued of getting in touch with the principal has been resolved, I have signed said permission forms. The traffic is still unbearable (my son was tardy today.) And the demands of the basketball team, when we don't know yet if he's even made the team, are another monkey wrench.

There is much change in transitioning to public school, and much frustration involved. But we have gotten through the first week, with much tears and happiness, a true emotional roller coaster. Surely it can only get better from here...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While thinking about all of the issues with your transition, it occurred to me that maybe it is all made more difficult by the size of the school. When I went to school and when my kids did, it was always in a very small town and I think that made it all a lot easier. On the other hand though, this hassle now will make it a whole lot easier when college time comes!

Holly said...

Oh my! I have been thinking about you all week and wondering how everything was going. Glad a few things have worked out a bit--surely it will get better?!?

Hang in there!

silken said...

thanks! I need all the thoughts and prayers you can give for me and my family! my son is liking the school, though exhausted. The school called (all parents) to rework the flow of traffic, so we'll see how it goes this week.

yes, the school is big. only 2 grades and already at close to 1300 students! my two cousins were visiting recently and said that is the population of all four grades of their HS. yes, smaller would be better. and yes, it will help the college transition....