Saturday, August 18, 2007

Did You Know Eating Poppy Seeds Really Can Give a Positive Reading on a Drug Test?

Did you know eating poppy seeds really can give a positive reading on a drug test?

Last night as I was eating my salad with my favorite poppy seed dressing, I told my son that he better be glad he doesn't like that dressing as it could give him a false reading on a drug test. We went on to debate if that is actually true or not, as I'd only heard it from a sitcom years ago.

I went online and found it confirmed by Snopes, myth busters and other sites. It seems that there have been several incidences of people failing drug tests after consuming poppy seeds. Because opiates are derived from poppy seeds, the tests will pick up on the appearance of it in your system.

Because this had gotten to be a problem, the level of opiates found to be in your system was raised from 300 microunits to 2000 before failing a drug test. So now, eating a little dressing or a bagel with these seeds should not be enough to cause you to fail your next drug test.

No comments: