Monday, March 31, 2008

Did You Know About the First Leg of the Triathlon?

Did you know about the first leg of the triathlon?

The first leg of our triathlon was the open water swim. We swam in Offat's Bay for .3 mile. The water was cold, though at 70 degrees, several athletes chose not to wear a wet suit. Being in the beginner wave, there were lots of athletes starting with us. I tried to get to the back of the pack. But there really were swimmers who were slower than me, so I decided to try to get in the gap area between the quicker ones and the slower ones. It was awful! Not only did I keep getting slapped and kicked, but some were right on top of my back! Especially those who were using the back stroke. I had really wanted to use the breast stroke, but the water was rough from all the swimmers and the jet skis the lifeguards were on so I swallowed a lot of water. I mostly ended up using doggy paddling and breast stroke with a few free style strokes thrown in to get away from the other swimmers. My time of 18 minutes was a pretty good time for me. But I found a video today that will really help me train for this kind of swimming!






alt : http://www.youtube.com/v/U_6tOzt-nfM&hl=en

4 comments:

Holly said...

HAHAHAHA! If you can survive that training, you are good to go!

I have heard that the swimming part can be the most brutal, mainly because of the crowds. Good for you!

silken said...

it was pretty rough, but we survived!

hifidel said...

Ugh... with training like that!!!!!

silken said...

hey, train hard, test easy! :)