Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Did You Know About the Second Leg of the Triathlon?

Did you know about the second leg of the triathlon?

The second leg of the triathlon was the biking portion. The course was 12.5 miles, most of it along the sea wall extending west. We were so very thankful that the weather held out for us. When we left that morning it was raining, so we were afraid there would be slick roads. The weather had also forcast 30 mile an hour wind gusts. Thankfully the wind was mild, considering our location.

I felt really great on the bike ride! I suppose I was just so happy to be done with the swim portion! On the way out on the course, I felt like I was going pretty fast and was pleased to pass several people. I figured that since there seemed to be little wind on the way out, after the turn around point the wind would be against me. As I saw some of my friends pass by after the turn around, I could tell the wind was blowing against them. I thought it would be best for me to go as fast as I could while there was little wind.

Even after the turn around I felt good. My thighs/legs never burned. I was thankful for all those days spent in spinning classes! I think I only had three people pass me on this portion of the race, and two of those I passed back on the "home stretch". I felt really good about the cycling portion, finishing in 51 minutes, just under the hour I thought it would have taken me.

2 comments:

hifidel said...

Sounds fun silken! I have always figured cycling would be by far the strongest part of the triathlon for me, if I ever did it. The swimming is the scary part, as far as I am concerned. (Your experience just confirms that for me!)

silken said...

maybe one day we can find one to do together! :)