Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Did You Know About the Third Leg of the Triathlon?

Did you know about the third leg of the triathlon?

The third and final leg of the triathlon was the 3.1 mile run. I felt pretty comfortable about this portion and did not spend as much effort in training for this portion, mostly because this is a daily run (every other day) for me. I did continue running as part of my training, I just did not step up my training in this area.

My transition off the bike and into the run was pretty good, less than two minutes. I did stop to get a drink, which I could have skipped if I'd realized how many water stations there would be throughout the running portion of the race. I felt tired but good as I started my run. Pretty quickly after I'd started, I heard my husband's name called out as he crossed the finish line! I yelled and clapped for him, though I'm sure those around me thought I was nuts!

Not long after this I passed my son and friends as they were on their way back. We all "high fived" and I thought I was pretty close behind them. Little did I know how much the route snaked around, so I was probably close to two miles behind them!

The crew did a good job of keeping everyone hydrated and encouraged. They would clap and yell for us as we ran by. There was even a little cheerleading squad out to help encourage us on! As I rounded the bend back by the swim start, I heard my husband call out to cheer me on! He was sitting on the beach waiting for me! Just as I got to mile three, my son stepped out to give me a "high five" to encourage me on the last leg. Many onlookers called out "200 yards". I tried to increase my speed, but had a hard time holding on to it for that last leg. At one point, just toward the end, I thought I might throw up, but held out to the very end! I looked at the clock as my name was called at the finish line. I knew I had beat the goal I set for myself, but did not realize by just how much until my husband reminded me that the clock started at the beginning of the race, and my start time was not until nearly 45 minutes after that!

I really enjoyed the whole experience and am glad I did it, even if I was a bit "out of my league". It was a great feeling and I felt really good after finishing. I do think I'd like to do it again sometime. There is another local one coming at the end of May. We are talking about doing that one...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've found your triathlon experiences very interesting and I'm glad you posted them! You did very well in meeting the challenges that you decided were yours. I was also impressed by the amount of support you all gave each other.

silken said...

thanks for reading along through this little "series" of posts. I was happy with my finish and it was lots of fun doing this w/ our little group!

silken said...

btw, I imagine you would blow me away in this kind of race. we saw some folks there in their 60's and 70's!! maybe one day I can be one of them!! :)

Anonymous said...

Well I hope you will be able to! Actually, I think you would be way ahead of me. I might beat you swimming because I'm a very strong swimmer, but you would take me in the run for sure. I haven't done any running in years. However, on a ten hour hike into the high country... that's what I have conditioned for.

silken said...

a ten hour hike in the high country...wow! I think I would have to blame my slow pace on "altitude sickness" :)

hifidel said...

silken, that is great! I loved reading about your triathalon experience.

I am suddenly, for some reason, now able to access blogspot blogs. I don't know how long the proxies will cooperate, but I wanted to drop you a comment so you'd know I'm reading about your experiences. Sounds like you all had a great time!

Holly said...

Have you heard about the Ironbabe series here locally? I think there is a super sprint in May and then a regular sprint in August. It's for women only. Hmmm...shall we?

silken said...

hi fi--I'm happy to see you, thanks for the comments! glad you read thru this, I think you would have liked this race! it was lots of fun!!

silken said...

yes, Holly, I have heard about both of those. I really would love to do them but they are both on Sunday, so I will have to sit those out. That one in May is on Mother's Day! I love the idea of "women only"! We know some gals doing the one in May.

We are talking about doing a different one in May and then the Hi Fi in Galveston in Oct. think about it! :)