Saturday, December 27, 2008

Did You Know We Have Lived Most of Our Married Life Without Insurance?

Did you know we have lived most of our married life without insurance?

I am not bragging when I say that. I know that we have tempted fate quite often. We have been very blessed not to have any major catastrophes strike our family. We had insurance when I was pregnant with my son. I was very sick during that pregnancy and had to be hospitalized. The insurance did not cover any of it. So as soon as our son was born and we saw that he was healthy and everything was as it should be, we dropped our insurance.

We also have not had wind storm and hail insurance since we have lived in this house. When Ike blew over this summer, we knew that we were blessed with no damage. Too many around us had damage of some sort.

We know that we are living on the edge this way. It is just nearly impossible for us to see how we can afford these things every month. But for 2009 we are looking at resolving some of these things. Getting hail and wind, health and term life insurance quotes are very important steps for us to look into in the new year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have also struggled with insurance coverage, varying from having excellent coverage provided by several of my employers to having nearly none. The risks are disquieting, aren't they! We have finally qualified for Medicare and Medicare supplemental insurance and can relax a little having at least that much.

I always think of the kind of middle road my parents also took. They always had basic coverage but avoided being, as my Dad referred to it, "insurance poor".

silken said...

it is a hard thing and I wonder if that is true for lots of folks. middle of the road sounds good and we are hoping we can afford that in the new year!