Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Did You Know I Signed Up for a Half Marathon?

Did you know I signed up for a half marathon?

In the past I was never too interested in running that much. My husband had wanted to do a marathon. It's just that most are on Sundays and we won't miss church to go do it. He has been a "bandit" in the Houston marathon by going up early and running as much as he could alongside the crowd, then dropped out and made it back in time for church! He even signed up for a marathon after that, but got injured and couldn't run it. This time, I found one on New Year's Day. I love the idea that it is on Jan. 1 (which is not a Sunday this year.) Also, it is a run/walk on a flat course with no time limit (other than having to be done by dark.) So I figured I'd give it a try. My friend Marathon Bird is going to run it with me. My other friend is on the waiting list (yes, registration is already full!) I have begun my training which is really compressed into a short time frame. But I am looking forward to it. I hope I can do the majority of it jogging, but know that if all else fails, I can walk it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That might be a really fun way to start the new year! Good Luck with it!

silken said...

thanks! I love the idea that it's on Jan. 1! somebody had a great idea. and lots of folks seem to agree. registration is closed at 403 participants (cap is supposed to be 400, and there is a waiting list!)