Monday, July 23, 2007

Did You Know About Roatan, Honduras?

Did you know about Roatan, Honduras?

This small island, located six miles from the mainland, was our second port of call last week. We were greeted once again by a lush green island, encircled by beautiful blue waters. We never were really able to get over the color of the water. (If you live near Galveston, or have ever visited, you will know why!)

On this island, we rented a scooter, rode 1K down the beach where we had a reservation with the Luna Beach Dive Shop. Here we met Wolfgang and Steve our scuba diving instructors for the day!

Again, my husband and I went off for our own independent excursion (one we had set up before leaving home). We were the only two people in our Discover Scuba Diving Class. We spent a short time filling in a medical release and watching an instructional video. Then we were suited up for instruction in the water. This took place just off the beach, about 20 feet deep. After practicing breathing, and learning to clear our mask and regulator, (and seeing an octopus who had caught a crab!) we were off for our dive, about 40 to 50 feet down to a coral reef.

We took a short boat ride through the glass-like waters. After entering the water, we followed a rope down, being sure to stabilize our ears every few feet. Then, we were off to explore the reef for about 50 minutes! It was absolutely amazing! The best description I have is it was so dream-like! I loved the weightless feeling, the slow moving kicking. I was pretty scared of losing my breathing apparatus (though I knew what to do should that happen). This dive was so wonderful and Wolfgang and Steve were awesome instructors who were so careful and patient with us. Thank you for sharing your underwater world with us!

After our amazing dive, we rode our scooter around just snapping shots of this beautiful island.












4 comments:

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

Sounds wonderful. Haven't dived for a long time. Hmm, maybe I better try it again at a place like this.

Malcolm

silken said...

we really fell in love with it. we are hoping to be able to get all four of us certified to dive. it would be an excellent family activity for us. no competition or level of performance, relaxing. it really was an amazing experience for us.

you would probably love this place (I don't know really since it's my only experience I have nothing to compare it to) they say it is a great place to dive and they are committed to keeping the reefs intact. Hope you get the chance to go somewhere like this.

Anonymous said...

I think your independent excursion was an excellent idea. I could go for that. I can just imagine the beauty of the dive!

silken said...

I think it worked out so well because we had good communication with the resort before getting there. they promptly answered emails, answered our questions, even had quoted us their old prices, which had recently gone up and honored those old ones because that is what they had initially told us. And I LOVED Wolfgang and Steve, they were so patient with me!

we have always been the type to head out "independently". I will be posting another independent excursion we took in the next day or so. it turned out really good too. we were a little intimidated by heading out on our own (this being our first experience) but it worked out for us.

(it did not work out so great for our table mates. they had booked a different type excursion through another tour company that is promoted on line and really got ripped at Costa Maya. I hope they get some refund back on that one!)