Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Did You Know About Dzibilchaltun?

Did you know Dzibilchaltun?

I know about it, but cannot pronounce it! This is a site of Mayan ruins. The name means "the place where there is writing on the stones". We did see one stone with some Mayan writing on it. The tour guide told us that although the Mayan language is still spoken, it cannot be read. I find that very interesting.

This site is very interesting. It has the temple through which the sun shines directly through during the equinox. The main temple is known as "The Temple of the Sun" and also the "Temple of the Seven Dolls" for the seven doll like figures that were found inside. The people there also built a causeway and road system. We saw a sun dial, but unfortunately did not get to see the housing complex.

About a mile away from the main temple is the cenote. This is a sinkhole which is fed from underground waters. This is one of the deepest on the Yucatan. They have recovered many vessels from the cenote. This water hole is covered with water lilies and we were allowed to swim in it as well.

This makes for a fascinating excursion and I wish we had more time to explore the area.











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a place I would enjoy visiting. I could see myself spending a lot of time there! Interesting! I'd love to see those cenotes!

silken said...

yes, I really wish we'd had more time there. at this spot, there is only the one cenote, but seems there are many spread out over the peninsula. The guide said the water is usually more clear, it was darker now because of the recent rains. It is a very interesting place and I'd like to see some of the other sites of the Mayan culture as well...