Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Did You Know About the Cairo Toe?

Did you know about the Cairo Toe?


My friend Christine pointed me to this very interesting article. It seems that a few years ago, archeologists found a mummy wearing what appears to be the oldest prosthetic known. Ancient Egyptians were known to add fake body parts to dead bodies for religious or ceremonial reasons, but the Cairo Toe appears to have been a working prosthetic. If this proves to be true, it will push the date back for the earliest known prosthetic use by 600 or 700 years. You can read the full article here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Seems to me the only one who would really need a prosthetic toe would be a field goal kicker. What's amazing is that the Egyptians had a female field goal kicker!

hifidel said...

That is very cool! Who would've ever imagined?

Where do you find all of these interesting facts? You have an amazing capacity for picking up interesting tidbits. I like this blog, and always enjoy seeing what you've found for your newest entry.

sapheyerblu said...

Hi honey,

It's nice to know that there's someone out there who enjoys these little tidbits of information.

Hope you're having a great day.

silken said...

I find these type things fascinating as well! I got this little tidbit from sapheyerblu there (thanks!)

I love this kind of stuff! :)

thanks for visiting!