Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Did You Know Horses Cannot Vomit?

Did you know horses cannot vomit?

Taking care of my nephews, interesting conversations about bodies and their functions come up. But my daughter is the one who shared this tidbit of information with us last week, and my nephew reminded me of this today. I just had to check it out. Sure enough, horses cannot vomit. Check out this blurb from Wikipedia:

"Horses are not ruminants, so they have only one stomach, like humans, but unlike humans, they can also digest cellulose from grasses due to the presence of a "hind gut" called the cecum, or "water gut," that food goes through before reaching the large intestine. Unlike humans, horses cannot vomit, so digestion problems can quickly spell trouble, with colic a leading cause of death."

Wow!!

No comments: