Thursday, September 27, 2007

Did You Know About the Kilt?

Did You Know About the Kilt?



As I was asked to review a website where you can purchase a kilt and kilt accessories, I thought I better brush up on my kilt knowledge. I did know that the kilt were unbifurcated (though I’ve never used that word!-it simply means it is not divided into parts, as pants are.) I knew that the kilt was made of plaid cloth, though I did not realize what all was involved with this aspect of the kilt. I knew that some folks wear only a kilt, with nothing underneath.

But I just learned a few new things as well. I learned that the kilt is made from several different kinds of cloth, and yes, it is made using certain colors. These colors may represent family clans, or may be approved by a committee for re-enacting purposes. The stripes on a kilt always run vertically or horizontally, but never slanted or diagonally. There are particular kinds of pleats used on the kilt. And lastly, I learned that the plural form of "kilt" is "the kilt", not "kilts".

I learned all this from the HeritageofScotland.com website. Here you can order beautiful, traditional pieces, as well as more modern wear. You can get all the accessories you need to wear with your kilt, like the pouch, shirts, hose, brooches, and jackets. You can also read up more on the history of the kilt and the different types of the kilt (Scottish, Irish, Welsh, contemporary) and the impact the kilt has had upon contemporary styles.



3 comments:

MuhammadUmar said...

Nice kilt,,,,,
kilts for men nashville

faisal said...

Informative post for those who want to buy and wear kilt first time!
MotoGP Anzug

Best said...

In the world of knitting and crocheting, the term chunky is very well known. The phrase "chunky yarn" refers to a variety of thick yarn that is used for knitting or crocheting warm articles of clothing. Virkkuulanka