Monday, September 17, 2007

Did You Know About Our Edible Map?

Did you know about our edible map?




Anytime I want to teach a lesson, I try to incorporate every sense possible. I believe this helps the student to implement the lesson and retain it better. One of our favorite things to do is to "eat our homework". I love to incorporate food into our lessons any time possible.



Last Friday, in our study of Ancient Egypt, the kids made a cookie map. We made a sugar cookie, used sour straws to represent the Nile river. We tinted coconut green to use as the grass and fields along the Nile. We then crushed graham crackers and spread it over the remaining "land" to show that this area is all desert. Then we added chocolate chip pyramids and marshmallow mountains. Last, my oldest nephew decided we needed a sphinx to guard the pyramids. My daughter and he designed one from pretzels and marshmallows, complete with colored icing.



The best part...we got to "eat our homework"!

No comments: