Saturday, March 7, 2009

Did You Know You Can Use Butter in Place of Shortening?

Did you know you can use butter in place of shortening?

Last night, I was going to make up some pizzas. I unloaded my groceries, and the yeast packets did not get put into any of the bags! So I thought I'd make up the quick biscuit mix pizza dough, but I was nearly out of the biscuit mix. So I had to make up some mix before I could do the dough. I didn't have any shortening! I looked really quickly on the internet to see if I could substitute butter. Many sites said you can use butter in place of shortening for baking. I just didn't know how it would turn out on pizza crust. I used one cup plus 2 Tablespoons butter in place of one cup of shortening. In the end, I think it turned out better than before! I may continue using butter in place of shortening in my biscuit mix!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, that sounds like good pizza crust! We'll have to try that!

silken said...

it really is simple. it wasn't my favorite, but after making it this time, it's awfully close! it's just 1 1/2 cup of biscuit mix and 1/3 cup of hot water. I did have to use some white flour to aid w/ the stickiness, but w/ that, it rolled out just fine. topped w/ spaghetti sauce, spinach, beef and cheese, it made a great "hamburger" pizza!