Monday, July 28, 2008

Did You Know You Can Make Your Own Biscuit Mix?

Did you know you can make your own biscuit mix?

For years I used products like Bisquick. But after going to camp for several years where we make our own biscuit mix, I decided it would be better to do that at home. That way I can use better ingredients. For example, I will use unbleached white flour or wheat flour, organic shortening (or at least trans fat free) and aluminum free baking powder. This way I know that the things I am baking for my family are more healthful and I can still have the convenience of using a mix. It's really pretty simple.

Mix 6 cups flour, 3 T baking powder, 1/2 T salt, 3/4 t baking soda. Cut in 1 C shortening. Use as you would Bisquick.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a cool idea. We'll have to try it.

silken said...

yeah, it's pretty easy really and I like being able to use better ingredients...