Saturday, July 19, 2008

Did You Know We Started Driver's Ed. This Week?

Did you know we started driver's ed this week?

My son started his driver’s ed. class this week. We have decided to put him in a driving school rather than teach him ourselves. (Pretty funny from a homeschool mom!) But since he is no longer homeschooled, we wanted him to be able to complete the course in the summer during school break.

The owner of the driving school is a track coach at another high school and lots of the kids already know him. This put me a little at ease, knowing he has a good rapport with many kids and is used to working with teens. Of course I have my hesitations as well, but overall we are hoping this is a good experience for our son.

The funny thing is that very many of our friends are teaching their kids to drive rather than sending them to a school. The driving school is a lot more expensive, at least double. But I don’t have to keep up with any paperwork, it is a much quicker course, and I think it will be good for him to drive with some other teachers besides just my husband and myself.

Next Monday, my son will be eligible to go and get his permit. Beware the student driver!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like that instructor will be a big plus. I remember when our kids had driver's ed. through the high school. They were already excellent drivers from our training and lots of experience on the back country roads, but there were insurance advantages to taking the classes besides that one more person as an influence on them. They have turned out to be excellent and safe drivers, too.

silken said...

I took driver's ed at school too. it's a rare school that offers it now days. my husband too grew up in the country, driving since he was about 12. my son has driven some, but not like living out in the country! one day a few years ago at my in laws, both he and my niece were allowed to drive in the field. it was good for them to feel the power and speed that a car can get to.

I hope the instructor is a good example and that my son becomes a good and safe driver! we are teaching him to drive a standard vehicle!