Thursday, July 24, 2008

Did You Know Los Angeles Has Voted for a PlasTax?

Did you know Los Angeles has voted for a PlasTax?

Yesterday, Los Angeles city council voted for a Plastic Bag Tax of .25 cents on every shopper who requests to use plastic bags. If this fails, the council will look at banning plastic bags by 2010.

In 2002, Ireland instituted a similar PlasTax . Consumption of plastic bags went down 90% and litter was drastically reduced. Over $9 million dollars was raised from the tax and put into a "green" fund to help the environment.

The purpose however is not to raise money, but to raise awareness of how much we consume and harm our earth each day without even thinking about it. I like the idea. I know it is hard to get into the habit of bringing shopping bags to the store. I forget at times too, especially if it's not the grocery store. Each time I go grocery shopping, I am seeing more and more customers bringing their own bags. I do believe every little bit helps and maybe one day our kids will be the ones who live it as a lifestyle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are certainly right that every little bit helps. I'm very surprised however that some bright person, most likely a chemist, hasn't invented an inexpensive bag made out of a biodegradable material to replace the plastic bags. It would immediately make his fortune.

silken said...

inexpensive would be great! it is so hard when I do find things that are better, but have to pay more for them....

maybe you can come up w/ that new biodegradable bag??? :)