Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Did You Know Garden Hoses are Not Safe to Drink From?

Did you know garden hoses are not safe to drink from?

Although this is old news, I just heard about it. Last week at camp, some of the counselors filled up an outside water jug with water from a hose. Some other adults said that this is not a safe thing to do. One said the hoses are made from tires, making it unsafe. I looked around and it seems that last summer , people were alerted to this unsafe practice. Not because they are made from tires, but because of the possibility of lead leaching into the water. Some hoses are marked as safe for drinking, and these are ok from which to continue the age old tradition of childhood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That certainly was a childhood tradition, wasn't it? I'm not too sure just how much lead one would get from an occasional drink from a hose. I'd be a little more concerned about getting lead from the barrel of a .44, myself.

silken said...

ha ha! well, around here I've seen less .44s than I've taken drinks of garden hoses.