Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Did You Know About our Visit to Magic Kingdom?

Did you know about our visit Magic Kingdom?



The night before we went, we were all a little giddy. My son said "I am going to be a little kid tomorrow!" That is just the feeling Magic Kingdom brings out in you. We had a plan for Magic Kingdom, because we found out that they closed at 7 pm that night. We were afraid we would not get to finish everything we wanted to do.



We knew we wanted to hit either Space Mountain or Buzz Lightyear first, get fast passes if needed then head straight over to the other two mountains-Splash Mountain and the Thunder Mountain Railroad.

When we got to Tomorrowland, the wait for Buzz Lightyear was only ten minutes, so we thought we would go ahead and jump onto this ride. This was one of our favorites from our previous trip. The ride is a car with a power cannon attached to the front. You ride through a video game, shooting at targets throughout the ride! There is a screen in front of you that keeps your score. This is tons of fun for the kids and grown ups alike! And our wait actually turned out to be about five minutes!

After our ride, we went directly to Space Mountain. My daughter had never ridden this one and was anxious to do so. The wait said it was about 20 minutes, but I doubt we waited quite that long. While waiting, see if you can figure out what the meteorites are that float along the screen ! The ride itself was much rougher than we remembered and somewhat of a let down after riding the Rock N Roller Coaster in Hollywood Studios. We stopped in to catch the comedy show by Monsters, INC. This was a fun show, with the MC animated on-screen, but able to pull off audience participation and jokes on the audience!

Then we headed for Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain. We did not know which to get the fast pass for and which to stand in line for. They were both pretty long. The kids chose to get the passes for Splash Mountain, and that turned out pretty good as that line got long fast! After about 20 minutes in line, we rode Thunder Mountain and headed over to Splash. I love this ride! I don't really like getting wet (and you will get soaked!) but I love it because it is all about Bre'r Rabbit! Most kids won't even know who it is since Disney won't re-release Song of the South, but I love it! And yes, I got SOAKED!





The kids and my husband then went to the Haunted Mansion. I got fast passes for Peter Pan while waiting on them. That turned out to be a good idea. That ride is one of my favorites and I did not want to miss it. The line early on was 40 minutes and it is a slow moving line. This was about 11:30 and our pass was not good until 2:30. A little later, all the fast passes for this ride were distributed. Upon our return, the line for this ride was 50 minutes. It is a fun ride through the story, but they have speeded it up; I would prefer not to be rushed through the ride (but then I had fast passes, which got us on in about ten to fifteen minutes, and I did not have toddlers hanging off of me!)

I got to see the Hall of Presidents, then met back up with my family. We took a lunch break (hot dogs and chicken wraps) and then my son wanted to head over to Tom Sawyer Island. This is a relaxing place to take kids to play and rest, but he was adamant that we not miss it "for old time's sake!" We rode the raft over and went through the cave and the fort, even the secret tunnel. We hung out there for a little while before heading back. Then we struck out for the Pirates of the Caribbean. They have changed this ride a bit so that it now matches the movie.


We could not leave the park without visiting the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. I love this tree house! It has a working water wheel and everything is set up like the old movie.



And you get a nice view of Space Mountain.




We of course went back to ride Peter Pan and catch the boat through Small World.



We headed back for another pass on Buzz Lightyear. Getting stuck this time around allowed my husband to max out on the points. As we came back around, we noticed a parade in which regular families were being asked to participate with the other cast members. I am sure that was lots of fun for those families.

We then stopped to do some shopping, check into dinner reservations (none to be had in any of the parks, save Epcot at 8:45!) and got to see the flag lowering ceremony. Then we headed out to eat at downtown Disney. We took the monorail to the Contemporary Resort and caught a bus from there.(There are no buses from Magic Kingdom to Downtown Disney.)




We loved our day in Magic Kingdom, and if the kids would have been a little more willing, I'd have loved to see the Winnie the Pooh ride, Snow White's ride, and the Philharmagic show. Guess I'll just have to go back! :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been greatly enjoying your excellent accounts and photos of your trip. What an enjoyable experience for the kids that must have been! (And the older kids, too!)

silken said...

just big kids, that's us! :) we did have fun and it's been fun to recount it here. I am trying to decide which photo I want to send in to the Disney newsletter I get for the photo of the week. any suggestions on these? there are several I like: the EPCOT Spaceship Earth, the castle in magic kingdom, view of Space Mtn from Swiss family Robinson tree house, Splash Mtn...I don't know!

Anonymous said...

Hard choices. I kind of like the shot from the tree house, maybe because I love tree houses.

silken said...

thanks for your opinion. we can't decide either! I want one that isn't overdone, like the EPCOT or castle ones, so the tree house view might be a good one