Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Did You Know About Carbon Chemistry?

Did you know about carbon chemistry?

I never took chemistry in high school. This was a tough section when my son went through it, though now that he is in chemistry at school, he thinks this section my daughter is on is a breeze! Here is what my daughter taught me about hydrocarbons today:

An alkane is a straight straight chain of carbon atoms surrounded by hydrogen atoms with one bond between the carbons.

An alkene is a hydrocarbon where there is at least one double bond between carbons.

An alkyne is a hydrocarbon with at least one triple bond in its structure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think with the necessity of carbon sequestering that carbon chemistry will be a very popular course of study for years to come!

silken said...

this lesson is the most basic foundation, good place to start!