Thursday, November 20, 2008

Did You Know How to Make Caramel Sauce?

Did you know how to make caramel sauce?

We love caramel apples. I don't like the artificial colors and flavors in caramel candies. So I looked around on line to find a good caramel recipe. I found several easy ones. The one that I have been using makes more of a sauce. I don't think it would work to dip an apple on a stick in, I don't know if it would "set up" enough as it is more like a caramel sauce. But it is so sweet and yummy! It really does have a good flavor. We like to mix some up and slice our apples to dip into it. It might even be good over ice cream!

Caramel Sauce:

3/4 C brown sugar

3/4 T butter

3 T milk

1/4 t vanilla

I think you are supposed to use a special method for making caramel, but I have found it easy to just mix this over low heat til bubbly. I sometimes lift the pan up off the burner so it doesn't over heat. I stir continuously until it is bubbly and a little bit thickened. Then I let it cool for a few minutes before dipping the apples into it. It is a great fall treat!

No comments: