Thursday, October 18, 2007

Did You Know How to Make a Knight Costume?

Did you know how to make a knight costume?



I like to be thrifty (cheap!) and I don't sew, so I knew this one could maybe be tricky. My mom did help me out, but I think they turned out rather well. I started by getting some satiny cloth. Then I cut out the zig zag pattern at the bottom, along with the neck hole. I printed out the symbols from the computer and traced them onto scrap material, which I glued onto the tunic. My mom did sew around the red one, as it is a thicker material.



The purple one was too thin, so she used no-fray fabric glue around the edges. She also outlined it with silver glitter glue.



Then we used scrap material for sashes. Instead of trying to make the under-piece (to represent the chain mail) we bought hoodies-which are easy to find right now. Stick in a sword and a shield (.25 cents on clearance at the museum!!) and a home made helmet (instructions in next post) and you've got your own knight in "shining" armor!



3 comments:

Kim said...

This costume is AWESOME!!! If the boys want to model them, come on by! :)

silken said...

oh yeah! we should do that! they really like them and I'm pleased with the way they turned out!

thanks for stopping by

Diane said...

I'm looking for the post on how to make a Knight's Helmet. Could you please give me that info ?
thanks
Diane