Monday, October 15, 2007

Did You Know How Many Cups of Flour Make a Pound?

Did you know how many cups of flour make a pound?

Today we wanted to make some "Queen Cakes" in honor of the reading we have been doing about kings and queens. The recipe called for a pound of flour and a half pound of sugar. I had no idea really how to measure this out for a recipe. So I tried to find the equivalences on line. It was not so easy to find. I did find one site which told the equivalences for several measurements. I bookmarked it for future reference. I learned today that a pound of flour is the same as five teacups (though I only used four cups) and two cups of sugar equals a pound. This is good to know. Our cakes turned out fine. They were light and fluffy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Over the years, I have spent many hours converting units of measure, etc. for my wife's cooking recipes. Also get tangled up in converting back and forth to metric. Why do we do this to ourselves!

By the way, I've been unable to comment on your "Each New Day" blog because when the small screen comes up to enter the codes it doesn't show any codes and therefore won't accept the comment.

silken said...

I was just lucky to find that website w/ the converter measurements. my cookbook did not have anything like that. as for metric, if a recipe uses metric measures, I usually avoid it!

hm, seems as if that blog has all sorts of troubles. I'll email them and have them look into it. thanks for the heads up about it! always appreciate you stopping by...