Saturday, August 1, 2009

Did You Know You Can't Make Ice Cream Without Rock Salt?

Did you know you can't make ice cream without rock salt?

My husband wanted ice cream last night. He had been gone for over a week, so I was happy to oblige. I went to the store to get the necessary items. But I did not realize I was out of rock salt. So I consulted the trusty internet and found folks saying you can use table salt in place of rock salt.

This did not work at all for me! I left the ice cream maker running for two hours or more. And it never turned to ice cream. So I put it in the fridge til today when I could go back and get rock salt. It seemed to work out ok. It did set up though my husband said it was still too creamy.

If you find yourself without rock salt and wanting to make homemade ice cream, I suggest either go back and get it or wait. Or you can experiment like I did and have a blog topic!

No comments: