Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Did You Know About Heifer International?

Did you know about Heifer International ?

This organization helps people around the world to overcome poverty. I just learned about this organization recently, and I really like what I am hearing about it. Heifer Int'l goes into poor communities and offers hope by offering to give them animals to help provide better nutrition and working environments. They also come in and help to plant trees.

First, HI teaches the people they are reaching out to how to care for their land, including the planting of trees. Next they are trained in caring for animals. Then they are given their animals, with the understanding that they must give at least one of the offspring to another needy family in their community.

The animals range from chicks or honeybees to llamas and cows , depending on the need and customs of the target regions. I am so pleased to have found this giving organization. I love how they take the old quote of teaching a man to fish and make it into practical, modern day living.

I chose to buy trees, chicks, bees, and a basket of chicks, ducks, geese and rabbits to help some people who are in need. I love how this gift will keep on giving far past one meal. This is one of the charities I chose to donate some of my blogging money to for my end of year blogging challenge . I hope you will share your favorite charities here is as well.






Heifer, the gift that keeps on giving.


2 comments:

LucyS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LucyS said...

Do you suppose you could tell me how to get that widget for Heifer International?