Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Did You Know How to Deal with Obesity?

Did you know how to deal with obesity?

It seems to be such an epidemic these days, starting with young children. I have seen two different shows today (yes, I had the TV on!) dealing with obesity. First, I saw part of a Dr. Oz show in which the question was raised "Is it abuse to raise an obese child?" It was a very emotional and heated discussion.

The other show I saw tonight was The Biggest Loser finale episode. I sometimes have mixed feelings about this show. I think it is good that the contestants are learning to use diet and exercise as the means to become healthy. Many have relied on diet pills like Lipofuze and even surgeries to deal with their obesity. I am glad they are learning what it really takes to become healthy. But that is where I sometimes think it can go overboard. I am not sure how feasible it is to quit your job, your life and train non-stop for nearly half a year. I know that many of these people's lives depend on it, so they make it happen. But for folks at home, training many hours a day is not possible. And we don't have nutritionists and dietitians making our food for us. But my biggest concern about the show is how sometimes I wonder if the winners may lose too much weight than is actually healthy all in the name of winning the money.

At any rate, I do think it is important to deal with obesity and for our society there are a lot of confusing messages for adults and kids alike. I hope that education on health will be a great first stepping stone in dealing with obesity.

No comments: