Saturday, January 10, 2009

Did You Know What I've Learned From My Training?

Did you know what I've learned from my training?

In preparing for the half marathon I ran last week, I have learned some things, about myself and about life too. I have learned I can push myself and do more than I would have thought I could-and it could be fun too! I learned how running for five minutes and walking for one can be a pattern for living life. My mom made a comment here on my blog about that. Just keep pushing along and go at it hard, step back for a short break, and then kick it in again. Seems like a reasonable way to push through life. I learned that sometimes the pain will sideline you and you have to keep plugging along with what you can do. I learned that I like to have a goal, something to reach for in my training. It helps with motivation and fun. I have learned that I like having the goals and challenges set before me. I have also been reminded of a saying my son heard/used when training for his black belt in karate: "Train hard, test easy".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent lessons. I wish that everyone who participates in sports would understand the value of those things and that more folks would do so!

silken said...

it was really my mom who got me to thinking w/ her comment about how to live life-run for five, walk for one-as my son says "she is the greatest!"

Anonymous said...

You might consider training up here with these guys, Silken!

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2009/01/12/news/local/news01.txt

silken said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
silken said...

Wow! (is it the article about training for Boston?) very cool! I don't know about training in that cold, but I bet they are more than ready for Boston by the time they get there! nice to have the support group too! I have a friend who is trying to qualify for Boston. I'll have to try to email the article to him! thanks!