Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Did You Know I am Having to Take Time Off After My Run?

Did you know I am having to take time off after my run?

I am really disappointed. I was hoping to just jump right back into my training schedule. But I am having some problems with knee pain and swelling. I am not sure really what I did. I have knee pain when I run anyway. But the night of the race, we did a prayer walk with some people from church and spent quite a bit of time walking. Afterwards, I was feeling a lot of knee pain. The next morning I woke up early with pain in my knee. I got up and iced it for half an hour, then went back to sleep. Later I got up and went for a slow, relaxing swim. I stayed in the pool to do all my stretching. I felt better after that.

On Saturday I wanted to go to spinning class at the Y. When I got there the Pilate's teacher told me she did not have any students and to come in there and she would help me stretch. I did go in after about 20 minutes of spinning. She put me on the reformer machine to really stretch my legs out. That is when she noticed my knee was swollen. She showed me some exercises to do at home to help strengthen my knees. Later that day I met my eight year old nephew for his birthday laps. I walked some and jogged some.

Then Sunday after church I noticed the back of my knee was very, very swollen. I finally decided to take ibuprofen and continued to ice it throughout the day. I also knew I would have to stay off it for a few days. The swelling has gone down which is good. But I am just frustrated that I am having to stay off of it! I need to get back to the running! Hopefully I can catch an episode or two of Sit and Be Fit on PBS!

5 comments:

Daesha said...

I hope you bounce back quickly! Keep working on relaxing!

Anonymous said...

I sure hate to see that! Take it easy on the knee and train lightly for awhile. that can be a tough problem!

silken said...

thanks Daesha! I am "working" on "relaxing"! the swelling has gone down and I am hoping to be able to swim soon.

me too Montucky! I am taking it easy but anxious to get back to it. I'm pretty bummed to have to back off...

Holly said...

I'm sorry to hear it is still nagging at you. I hope rest and ice will heal it soon and you will get back to your routine soon, without further pain/swelling.

If you do catch Sit and Be Fit, please DON'T wear suntan hose while you *work out*. :)

silken said...

ha ha! I know, the hose with the 80's slouch socks. but you know, I really have been impressed w/ what she does, the whole premise of the show. I didn't know she was an RN and has a PT on w/ her....all this to say, that yes, I've used this show a couple of times this week. I did swim today though!!