Friday, August 8, 2008

Did You Know Today is an Auspicious Day?

Did you know today is an auspicious day?

I was hearing about today's lucky day (08/08/08)on the news this morning. Many of the things they were saying clicked my brain!

The number eight is a lucky number for the Chinese because the way you say "eight" in Chinese sounds like the way you say "prosperity" so the number has come to be lucky for them. I have eaten in restaurants called 888 in both Singapore and here in Texas. Now I know why that is such a good name for their establishments!

So today seemed the perfect day to begin the Olympics in Beijing. I know many athletes will be hoping that this auspicious date will bring luck to them!

Let the games begin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't even thought about 08/08/08 until I saw a story from China today where there were 17,000 couples wanting to be married at the time of the opening of the Olympics at 8 o'clock. It's really a big thing in Beijing!

silken said...

yes, I saw that the date was one which many couples wanted to be married, though not the particular piece you are talking about. We even went to the 888 Chinese restaurant for dinner last night! :)