Thursday, August 21, 2008

Did You Know How To Save Money on Lunches?

Did you know how to save money on lunches?

I was reading an article today about saving money by packing lunches using reusable containers as opposed to one time use throw away convenience packaging. I admit that I am guilty of this, especially with my teenager. It is hard for him to carry a "lunch box" filled with reusable containers; he has so much already to carry every day. He is good about reusing his brown bags though!

I have seen some really cool reusable lunch boxes that I think younger kids would really like. Although they seem expensive when you first buy them, you can think of the money you will save in the long run. Over the course of a year, you can save nearly $250 per child by not packing "disposable" lunches. For example, buy large containers of yogurt and applesauce and pack in reusable containers. Use thermoses, reusable bags and napkins. Waste generated by disposable lunches is second only to office paper waste generated by schools.

For more ideas you can read the article here .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

$250 per year is quite a number, much more than I would have thought. I'd like to see that number get some real publicity; talk about a "win-win" situation!

I would think the same would apply to outdoor folks too. I always carry my food in reusable containers anyway, but now I have another reason also!

silken said...

I really struggle w/ this one. I KNOW I should use reusable containers EVERY time, but don't. I guess like many other things, it's a process of relearning habits...

hey, there is an article on biodegradable bags. I will try to link to it soon!