Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Did You Know Rivers Flow in Different Directions?

Did you know rivers flow in different directions?

My daughter has a question to answer about the directional flow of rivers. She has been doing some research online to help answer this question. She won't tell me about the rivers in Texas just yet, I have to wait til Friday. But I heard her reading about how rivers on different sides of the Continental Divide flow in different directions. I had known this, but hadn't thought much about it. She also knows that the Rio Grande does not empty where she thought it would. Again, I am waiting til Friday for her to share her new knowledge with me! (Kids just love it when they know something you don't know!!) :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a subject of a great deal of interest to those of us who live in the mountains of the west. It will soon become one of the most important topics in the future of the U.S. as states are already jockeying for position for water rights. There will be law suits galore before it's all settled. Up here we keep hearing the battle cry, "whiskey's for drinking, water's for fighting".

silken said...

wow! I didn't know that! I will mention this to my daughter for her project. I do remember hearing that Dallas was having some sort of problem, not sure if it was water rights exactly...

Anonymous said...

There's a wealth of stories on water issues. Your daughter might want to Google "water rights", then click on "News". It will bring up a whole bunch of recent stories, especially in the west, but there have been some doozies from the water problem in Atlanta, too.

Anonymous said...

Here's a link for your daughter to one of the more interesting stories of late about water in the west:
http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/colorado_to_mccain_hands_off_our_water/C530/L37/

silken said...

thanks montucky.
which article is it? do you know the title? I can't seem to see exactly what it is...

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I can't seem to get the comment box to accept the complete address: it wants to truncate it. Here's the entire link on two lines. You'll have to paste them together:

http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/
colorado_to_mccain_hands_off_our_water/C530/L37/

I posted the link also as a comment on my blog if this doesn't work.