Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Did You Know What I Will Do Differently for the Next Hurricane?

Did you know what I will do differently for the next hurricane?

No, not leave (necessarily-I am glad we stayed this time.) There is a list of things I want to remind myself to get before the next storm, so I thought I'd jot myself a little note here.

Be sure to stock up (more) on certain items before hand:

1. disposable plates and plastic ware

2. trash bags

3. gloves

4. even more water

5. cell phone car charger

6. board up every window and back door

We have not decided if a generator is really worth the investment. We do not have one. You still cannot run the AC, but can run a fan. It is expensive, loud and costly (gasoline-which is not always available.) We have a gas stove and had water so we were actually ok even with the electricity off. Of course, the weather cooled down so that helped.

I did like being here to begin clean up immediately after. It was scary listening to the wind. I do like how all the neighbors helped each other out.

I am glad we stayed this time and think I would do it again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it went well for you and it is great to see that folks there still work together when they are faced with a big problem like that!

silken said...

some of the area is pretty hard hit by flooding from the storm surge. it will be a long time for places like Kemah and Galveston to get back up and running....there are some even in this part of town and other outlying areas w/o power....