Monday, January 16, 2012

Did You Know Some Dishes have Metal Trim?

Did you know some dishes have metal trim?

I learned the hard way! We celebrated my son's birthday a little early before he had to go back to college. When everyone left, I found my son's plate with cookie cake left on it. I decided to heat it up and eat that last bit warm. We had eaten on our good plates that night and that is how I found out that these dishes must have some sort of metal trim on them. When I took the plate out of the microwave, it scorched my fingers, quickly leaving blisters. I had no idea but when I looked up on line about non-microwaveable dishes, there was mention of dishes with metal trim. Since these plates have a silver trim, I've decided it must be some sort of metallic trim.

2 comments:

Montucky said...

Ouch! That's the hard way to learn! I didn't even know that there was still metal on the new dishes these days. We still have quite a few glasses that have the old gold rims that do contain metal. I've read that they can even start a fire in the microwave.

silken said...

well, these are not "new" dishes. I got them when I got married, 25 years ago this year! and I only had it in a few seconds, so I can only imagine it could have started a fire. I bet they don't make them like that much any more, for just that reason! I have to say though, it never even occurred to me that the silver trim would have had any metallic content.....