Friday, June 18, 2010

Did You Know Some Exercises You Can Do During Recovery?

Did you know some exercises you can do during recovery?

Following my foot surgery, I have been limited in my activities. I have been wanting to do some sort of exercising just to keep from getting completely out of shape. I can only do upper body exercises. And since I have not been able to walk well, I have notgone to the gym either. But there are some things I have been doing at home.

I started by doing bicep curls with juice bottles. I also did some tricep exercises with cans of food. This week I have felt better and came up with a small routine. I have done tricep dips off the fireplace with my injured foot in the air. Then immediately into a "preacher curl" (bicep curl) seated in a chair. Doing sets of these back to back is a "super set" and gives you a better workout. Rest a minute or two before going into the next super set.

After this I do a behind the head tricep lift, resting between each set. Then do a bicep exercise twice through. Yesterday I was able to add some knee push ups! I have also been trying this shoulder circle workout, though with much less weight.

I have been doing abs throughout my recovery. You can do crunches in the bath tub or on an exercise ball. You can do leg lifts while seated in a chair. Yesterday, from the knee push up position I did an "ab crawl"!

Before doing any exercises during an injury/surgery recovery be sure to check with your doctor to see what is advisable. And get plenty of good food and rest!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a really good idea, doing what you can. It helps keeping up a level of fitness but I think more importantly dow a lot for your attitude.

silken said...

it does help with both. though the attitude of dejection has already set in. and of course like everything else in my life I am second guessing my decision….

I did make it around the block this morning! slow but sure