Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Did You Know About Exercise Burnout?

Did you know about exercise burnout?

I was talking with a lady at the gym this morning. She is a 60+ triathlete! We were talking about burnout. How we are sort of getting sick of our workouts. How it can lose the fun and we just keep drudging through them. I told her some things I do to try to break the monotony. For example, swimming 32 laps in a pool is rather dull. So I'll do things like change lanes when it's not too crowded (16 laps in one lane, 16 in another; or 11 laps in three different lanes.) Or doing different exercises. Or different routines. Or adding a new machine, like the elliptical from time to time. My husband says also that your body gets used to doing the same thing over and over and you have to do new things for "muscle confusion". He says you get better results that way. Just some ideas to keep the burnout under control.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard it called that before, but I know the feeling. I've found that when I hike to stay in condition it's so much better to go to different areas often instead of the same route over and over. I can understand how it would work much the same way with other exercise routines.

silken said...

I actually thought of you when writing this Montucky! I thought you would never experience this with all the breath taking views you have! but yes, taking the same route over and over would not be as good as getting to see all the places you do!