Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Did You Know About A New Twist for a Birthday Party?

Did you know about a new twist for a birthday party?

My daughter volunteers with a pet shelter whenever she can. Right now, they are having to relocate their facility. They are in need of money and donated items to help them with their move, not to mention the regularly donated items they rely on such as dog food and paper towels.

One of the other girls who volunteers here just had a really great new idea. She had a birthday party where guests did not bring gifts for her, but rather brought requested items to donate to the shelter! She got cash, dog food and paper towels for her birthday! What fun for these kids! I bet she had just as much fun printing up her party invitations and being with her friends, not to mention that she knew she was helping out for a good cause.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great thing to do! I bet she feels really good about that!

Our "pound puppy" just passed her 4 month anniversary at our house and she's doing great! It has been so rewarding for us to see her respond to kindness and compassion. She had never before known that communication flows both ways: previously in her life it was always commands to her and she had no voice. Now she "talks" and we listen and she's a real pleasure to work with.

silken said...

that's great about your puppy. each week it seems my daughter comes home w/ a new she would love to bring home!

yes, I thought the party idea was a great one! my daughter already had her birthday this year, but something to keep in mind...

Holly said...

Love this! Wonder if I can encourage A. to jump on board(in some way) for her upcoming b-day...

silken said...

I love the idea!! if she wants to help the dogs, I know of a place!! ;)

but really , I think it is such a great idea and glad this girl thought of it and the pet shelter shared it w/ the rest of us!