Saturday, July 27, 2013

Did You Know About the Power of Mantras?

Did you know about the power of mantras?

While training for triathlons, there are many moments that I'd like to just stop. When it's hot outside. Or raining. Or I'm tired. But I've learned over the years the power of mantras, or mottos. I have four that I really rely on.

 Of course there is the one I taught the little girl I used to keep and she used on me: "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..."

Or one that was used when my son was in training for his black belt: "Train hard, test easy."

Also my favorite before jumping into the cold pool: "Don't think, just do it."

And my all around favorite: "I am stronger than...._________"

That last one is perfect for any moment of weakness as you can insert whatever it is that is bothering you (I am stronger than the heat; I am stronger than my tired legs; I am stronger than I thought I was.)

I have found the power of mantras get me through many of those tough moments of any workout or long training program.

2 comments:

Montucky said...

I might have to try that!

silken said...

it's worked well for me and got me through another tri this past weekend-an Olympic distance. tough!