Thursday, July 26, 2012

Did You Know the Perfect Paneer Substitute?

Did you know the perfect paneer substitute?

I make a spinach curry that we all enjoy, but have had a hard time finding a substitute for the "paneer" (Indian cheese, similar to ricotta.) I have tried hard white cheddar, aged cheddar, even made my own paneer (not a great success.) But today I found this blog recommending the perfect sub for paneer. I went to the Latino market to make sure I got the right thing and sure enough found the recommended queso fresco. It worked out really well. I was even able to fry it for a few seconds without it getting too mushy or melting. It didn't even start to melt when I put it in the curry sauce. The taste was just right for us. I think the grocery store will likely have the queso fresco as well, making this dish even easier to make.


6 comments:

wild click said...

Thanks much ! I have been using firm tofu but as you've suggested, Queso Blanco (White Cheese) at least needs to be given a shot ! :-)

nanaverm said...

Thanks! I was wondering, too.

nanaverm said...

Thanks! I was wondering, too.

Rich said...

Queso de Frier is a good Spanish cheese that would work as a paneer substitute. It is meant to be fried, and it does not melt.

lee woo said...

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. See the link below for more info.


#knowing
www.ufgop.org

Silvia Jacinto said...

Reading your article is such a privilege. It does inspire me, I hope that you can share more positive thoughts. Visit my site too. The link is posted below.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net