Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Did You Know That You Can Break Bones Just By Coughing?

It happened to me almost two years ago now. I apparantly had bronchitis and never went to the doctor. But the cough was awful and lasted a while. When I finally got over feeling bad, I tried to go about my normal routine. When I began my jogging again, I felt a pain in my side but attributed it to a side stitch from laying off my routine. The pain never went away, in fact, it worsened. I finally called my PA and she said it sounded like I had broken a rib. I told her I'd done nothing but had been sick. She had me come in the next day for x-rays. Sure enough, I had three broken ribs! She said it is not uncommon for folks to cough so hard with bronchitis that they break ribs. Since then I have heard of several other people to whom this same thing has happened!

No comments: