Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Did You Know How to Make An Arctic Garden?

Did you know how to make an arctic garden?



This is a great way to celebrate the winter season. It is simple to do and uses household supplies, though not all are easy to find. It is amazing how quickly the crystals start to grow.





In a small aluminum pan, place three pieces of charcoal. Stir together a mixture of 6 Tablespoons of water, 6 Tablespoons of laundry bluing, 6 Tablespoons of salt, and 1 Tablespoon of ammonia. Pour over the pieces of charcoal, covering well. The crystals will start growing very quickly and will continue to grow for almost two weeks.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen those for years! I remember making one when I was a child, and it made a strong enough impression on me that I made them for my kids too.

silken said...

they are very cool!! one is growing ALL OVER THE PLACE! the kids are loving it!

the bluing is not so easy to find these days. (I had to ask my grandma what it is the first time we did this!) When I did this when my kids were smaller, there was a local family owned store where we lived that carried it. Because of that, I had noticed one store in our area here carries it. The other stores I checked do not.