Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Did You Know About Temperature Inversion?

Did you know about temperature inversion?

Living at sea level, I guess I've never had an occasion to hear about this. But my friend Montucky lives and hikes in the mountains. His blog is where I learned about this unique, short lived phenomenon. Here is how Montucky explains it on his blog :

"The weathermen on the news stations here are mentioning that it will be relatively cold for the next week or so, but if we get tired of it we can always drive up into the higher elevations where it will be warmer. It’s a period of temperature inversion, where warm air moving over at high altitudes traps cold air down in the valleys, keeping them much colder and foggy. Above the inversion layer (currently around 4,000 feet) it’s clear and sunny."

If you want to see great photos to go along with his explanation, be sure to check out his blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention, Silken! I haven't been able to get above the inversion yet for some photos (other than DeBorgia) but hope to. A blogging friend who lives about 80 miles from me did however, and she got some great photos:

http://fromthefrontporch.com/WPBlog/2009/01/19/from-the-mountain-top/

silken said...

wow! that looks cold! never thought I would want to go up to get warm! :)