Thursday, January 17, 2008

Did You Know About Commonplace Books?

Did you know about commonplace books?

I just heard this term for the first time this week. It is an idea I really like and think I've even experienced. A commonplace book is a collection of sayings, quotes, meaningful things that readers gather together and keep in a personal journal/scrapbook. The practice began in the middle ages and continues on even today. I kept something very similar to this when I was in high school. Most times, a commonplace book will focus on one theme, compiling ideas along that theme. Today, the commonplace book still has its place. Many people have compared blogging to keeping a commonplace book. There are even a couple of blogs that go by that name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting idea. I've even thought a bit about using my blog for that purpose, but that might not be the best medium. It would be nice to pass along for the family.

silken said...

yes, I really like the idea. and I read in a book my sister gave me for Christmas and then again online how blogs are the commonplace books of today. You could start a second blog along that line; or just keep a "grandpa's diary" sort of thing...I think I need to mention that to Trick Falls!

I found my book that I had in high school/college. I've told my kids about it and they both like the idea and might start one. I told my son some of the writer's who have used these (Milton, Thoreau, Thomas Jefferson)he thought it was cool, and said he might be a writer some day! (I should have reinforced the fact that he is a writer NOW, since he is getting paid to write for a community newsletter about his school!)