Sunday, September 23, 2007

Did You Know That Marcel Marceau Has Died?

Did you know that Marcel Marceau has died?

Marceau has long been known as one of the best mime actors in the world. He began almost sixty years ago pantomiming dramas, creating the famous "Bip" character. He started his own pantomime troupe. When it later went under financially, he started a school for Mimodrame. He is said to have been inspired by the likes of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, the clowns of the Commedia dell'Arte, Chinese opera and Japanese Noh plays. He hoped to express himself and his feelings with actions without using words. He could make a definite statement without saying a thing.

"Mime, like music, knows neither borders nor nationalities," he once said. "If laughter and tears are the characteristics of humanity, all cultures are steeped in our discipline."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Marceau will be missed.

silken said...

I think he will. seems to have been an interesting, talented man

Anonymous said...

I saw that in the news. He was one of the few contemporary Frenchmen that I had any respect for. He was surely great at what he did.

silken said...

yes, the article I read about him had only praise for him.

Ian Thal said...

I discovered this post just today. I saw him on his last tour of the United States and recounted the experience on my own blog.